If you’re looking to transform your smile, chances are by now you have heard the word “Invisalign” tossed around. However, not many people know exactly how this orthodontic treatment works. Until 1999, there was only one method of moving teeth which were traditional braces. The process worked by moving your teeth into the correct position over time. Well… that’s precisely what Invisalign does! To better understand how this process works, it is important to first understand some basic dental anatomy. Teeth are connected to the jawbone via a periodontal ligament. These ligaments are composed of a group of fibers. These fibers contain collagen. To shorten the explanation, the fibers of the ligament hold teeth in place while still allowing for movement such as biting and chewing.
How is this relevant to Invisalign braces you may ask? It’s simple. Invisalign takes advantage of the natural balancing act your mouth already does to keep your teeth in position. Invisalign utilizes the existing tension and compression in your mouth and redirects it to gently reposition and straighten your teeth gradually. Every two weeks you can expect a new batch of aligners. You should wear them for the recommended amount of 20 to 22 hours a day. You can easily remove your aligners to brush, floss and eat.
The Smile You Desire
Okay, now that you have the basics down, let’s discuss some of the incredible benefits Invisalign has to offer your new smile.
- Always Clean: You can easily clean your teeth without the hindrance of traditional braces in the way.
- Confidence: You do not feel self-conscious about having metal in your mouth.
- Office Visits are Less: No rubber bands or wires required.
- Comfort: Regular wires and brackets can be extremely uncomfortable, that is never an issue with Invisalign.
- Eat What You Want: No food/beverage restrictions because aligners are fully removable.
- Ideal for All Ages: Both children and adults enjoy the benefits of Invisalign safely and effectively.
- Guaranteed to Fix Your Dental Issues: Gaps, crossbites, crowding, underbites, overbites and open bites can all be rectified with the aligners. (A qualified dentist will inform you if you are a good Invisalign candidate).
- An Edge on the Competition: While there are other competitors trying to make similar products to Invisalign, nothing quite compares with an impressive 6.4 million patients using the system worldwide, 1.5 million of whom are teenagers. The creation of Invisalign revolutionized the way people enhance their smiles.
Take a look at some other interesting facts about Invisalign…
- Every new set of Invisalign aligners you receive is able to move your teeth approximately .25mm. This can happen as quickly as the first three days after installation.
- Your bone still has to move along with the periodontal ligament. Bones always move with the ligaments because this is how your teeth will remain in their new position.
- The reason you must wear each set for 2 weeks is due to the time it takes for the bone to move with the ligament. A ligament’s fibers have to apply cementum, which attaches to your bone in its new position.
- If you do not wear your aligners for the time specified, your teeth will likely revert. This will increase the overall treatment time for your teeth to straighten. Thus prolonging the amount of time you need to continue with Invisalign.
Our Commitment to Your Dental Health
Here at LifeSmiles Dental Care in Richardson, TX, we do everything we can to upgrade your dental health. Need a convenient, affordable and reputable dentist in Richardson? We have you covered. Our goal is to make each patient more confident in their smile. Invisalign is one of the services we offer to our patients to achieve straight teeth. Our team of dentists, dental assistants and periodontists are excited to help you become the most confident version of yourself. Furthermore, we offer an array of other dental services and treatments to ensure the health of your teeth and gums.
The other services we offer include preventative dentistry, family dentistry, teeth whitening and dental implants.
Contact Us Today!
Your journey to a healthy, radiant smile begins here. You can learn more about us on Facebook and Instagram. In order to receive more information about our office, location or if you have general questions, feel free to call us at